Oh look, I’m redesigning Sarah again!
Yeah, I’m working on her facial structure more, and while it is always subject to change, I’m working on a more realistic style as of late. This time I tried drawing her with and without hair just to test the head shape
and prove that she has ears. There are a few features which she continues to posses: pronounced cheekbones, bag/wrinkles under her eyes, and a smallish mouth. I’ve begun looking at head shapes and have been discovering how jawlines work, so hopefully I can work at that and make her design (and my other characters’) seem more natural.
I also got the odd urge to look back at my progress with her face. While I wish I would have improved more in the past year, I know I haven’t been working on my drawing as much, ergo the lack of substantial improvement. What I am elated to see is how far I’ve grown since she was created (dear shit, that original scares me).
To see more on Sharaten (as well as inspirations for her design) check out my Sarah Black tag.
Sarah (for the drop me a character thing)
01. Name: Sharaten Carmichael (many aliases, one being Sarah Black)
02. Best friend: Marius
03. Sexuality: Het
04. Favorite color: Green
05. Relationship status: Widowed
06. Ideal mate: Her dead husband. Otherwise, someone who is emotionally stable, is willing to take care of her son if she’s at work, and friendly.
07. Turn-ons: Sword skills and parenting skills.
08. Favorite food: Savory things, like pasta with red sauce.
09. Crushes: None since the aforementioned dead husband.
10 Favorite music: Woodwinds, and things you can dance to.
11. Biggest fear: Her family will be killed because of her.
12. Biggest fantasy: She’ll find her husband’s soul, find a way to get it back to his body, and live out the rest of her days with her family, teaching her students.
13. Bad habits: Can be overbearing, forgetting parts of her alias stories.
14. Biggest regret: Not saving him.
15. Best kept secrets: Her real name. Very few people outside who she knew before her journey knows much about her old life.
16. Last thought: “I’ll never sleep in this place again- too many bugs and too few blankets.”
17. Worst romantic experience: Saw her husband disemboweled. While their house burned down. And she wasn’t sure if her kid was inside.
18. Biggest insecurity: That she’ll screw up and get herself or someone she loves killed. Also, her hair is gray and she hasn’t turned 30 yet.
19. Weapon of choice: Metamorphose Blade.
20. Role Model: Her mom
01. Name: Adalaide Abramelin
02. Best friend: Belinda Abramelin (younger sister)
03. Sexuality: Het
04. Favorite color: Violet.
05. Relationship status: Single
06. Ideal mate: A mage soft-spoken, kind, witty, intelligent, and who can keep a secret.
07. Turn-ons: Magical talent and red fabric.
08. Favorite food: Mangoes.
09. Crushes: None.
10 Favorite music: String instruments and calming orchestral pieces.
11. Biggest fear: Belinda dying.
12. Biggest fantasy: Curing her sister and cshhhhh-spoiler-cshhhhh
13. Bad habits: Stealing souls, murder, controlling demons, and she never pushes her chair in after she leaves a table.
14. Biggest regret: Beating herself up so much when she was younger.
15. Best kept secrets: What really happened to her parents and that she’s the one controlling the soul-stealing demons.
16. Last thought:”Why do I smell hair burning?”
17. Worst romantic experience: One can’t have a “worst” if they haven’t had even one.
18. Biggest insecurity: That she’ll always be a weakling and a terrible sister.
19. Weapon of choice: Magic.
20. Role Model: More like idols. Powerful witches and mages of the past.
Sarah Black redesign sketch!
So, I’m going to have to touch this up A LOT in photoshop, but for now, I have this.
She has a bag that can hook in many places for mobility, and anything that can fit in the opening can fit in the bag (because Mirna’s shop is the best shop ever). She also has long pants now, because shorts aren’t practical for wilderness survival. She still has the sports bra under the sheer top, but since the top is magical armor, it’s a nice breathable material, and it protects her in a way so that she can show off her arms and abs. Her sports bra has changed a bit, in that it has a crease to that it doesn’t give a uniboob effect, and her shoes do have both laces, I just didn’t draw the other one in. Other than that, she’s pretty much the same, just a bit more muscular.
Thought I’d actually have my 2 bros. These are Liam, Lucian, and Lucian’s glass spider.
Why was Sarah's family attacked? What were the motivations? What led to these?
It’s pretty simple, actually. There was a 20something foot demon who was starving, found a town full of
food people, and picked a few off before fleeing. It didn’t go after her family per se, it just went after anyone in its path, and Connor and the house just got in its way.
Demons in my universe attempt to eat peoples’ souls, yet they physically can’t. They don’t really know this however, because they can sense souls in human bodies and instinctively know they’re their only food source. Because of this, they are constantly in a state of starvation, and will try anything to get food, which means ripping people to shreds in the hopes of getting even the slightest morsel, even though they never will. In the end, they’re either killed or starve to death, so either way, it’s painful.
Talk about Alex! Does he use/is he capable of using at some point in the future magic? Does he train with weapons? Which? Does he want to follow in his mother's footsteps? What is his opinion on Sarah abandoning him to hunt down the demon, would he have rather had her train him as he grew older and stronger and they hunt the demon down together? Has he killed any minor demons? What's his view on the world/magic/war/love/etc...?
Yay, minor character! I don’t have everything figured out on him, but I’ll put what I know.
- He will never be able to use magic, but he can use magical items. You’re either born with the ability to use magic, or you’re not, and since there’s no one in his bloodline who is magical, he doesn’t have a chance.
- Perhaps a wooden sword, I haven’t decided yet. He’s 9 yrs old, so nothing very extreme.
- He’s not sure yet what he wants to do with his life. Maybe own his grandpa’s swordsmanship school one day?
- She didn’t really leave to hunt demons per se. She left to find the soul of his father, and while he was initially reluctantly accepting of her decision, he’s grown tired of waiting for her to come back. He misses her, but he also feels abandoned, and while he knows she’s doing it so they can be a family together again, he just wants his mom back. He feels that he lost more than one parent since his old house burnt down.
- He thinks demon hunting is cool, but he’s also very afraid of the because, hey, one killed his dad when he was a little over 5 years old. Time was a factor in Sarah leaving, and he knows that waiting would have done no good.
- I don’t think he has. If he has, nothing that’s taller than his knee, demons are generally pretty rare in Sarah’s hometown.
- Okay, slow down there. That’s a LOT of stuff. You get one: He thinks magic users are really stuck up, mostly because many act as though they’re a lot better than he is. Lita lives close to him, and from what I have so far, they have sort of an “I don’t really like you, but our families are really close, so I don’t want bad things to happen to you” relationship.
Alex (How developed is he by now?) 1, 3, 10, 30 (or magical appearance based manips, I suppose) 59
He’s 9, so…
1) Are looks important in a relationship?
Yeah, I mean, the person is more important, but they should be pretty too.
3) Are you a virgin?
Uh, YEAH. What kind of question is that? >:U
10) Do you believe in love at first sight?
I don’t think about it much, but maybe? Sure.
30) Have you ever considered plastic surgery? If so, what would you change about your body?
I might dye my hair, maybe get more muscle, but that’s all.
59) What do you look like? (Post a picture!)
(Gonna do this later)
58. What are five ways to win your heart?
If we’re talking friendship, that’s pretty simple. One: be honest with me. There are plenty of liars in this world- I ought to know. Two: Joke around with me. I have enough seriousness in my life. Three: Make me feel wanted rather than needed. Four: Take me seriously when I say I can handle something- trust me, if I can’t, I’ll tell you. And five: Tell me about yourself. You can’t win me over if I don’t know who you are.:)
If you meant romantically though, sorry, but that ship has sailed.
82. Who is the last person you hugged?
Jeffry, saying goodbye after saving his sister from drowning about a week ago. He was a good man. :)
(i apologize in advance if this is way off |D) Sarah Headcanon: Although he is one of the people that keeps her going, Sarah forgets about her son completely on occasion. She does this because it's easier for her to bear, and thinking about him would place doubt in her mind about continuing to find Conner.
That’s somewhat true. :) It happens mostly when she’s busy, or really involved in a task, then a few hours or a day will pass and something will remind her of him, her home town, or her parents, and she’ll be melancholy, but won’t show it. She then convinces herself that the ends justify the means, and trudges on.
(Sarah's world) How often are there child masters of magic? Like, is it something you're in control with instinctually, or does it usually require years of study to use anything other than cantrips? Also, does power come all at once or do you have to use lots of magic to expand your magical channels so you can use more power, like working out but with magic?
Oooo, I like this question! I’m still working on the details of how magic works, but based on what I know now, I’ll answer.
There are different types of magic and most magic wielders (mages and witches/wizards, henceforth called MWs to save time) become skilled at one or two types, be okay at others, and bad at the rest (like how some people are good at math but suck at writing and are okay with learning science). While MWs do learn different types of spells easier than others (talent), spells are learned, though some are more innate than others, and child prodigies are about as rare as they are in our world. As far as the working out metaphor, that’s actually pretty accurate. There are different types of spells (transformation, defensive, combative, “traveling,” and others I’m figuring out), and if you work a lot on shape shifting, but not much or not at all on teleportation, you won’t be able teleport, but you will be a better shifter. It requires years of study to do anything too fancy, so most pick one, maybe 2 fields they want to dedicate themselves to, and are anywhere from okay to shitty at the others. There are also different spells in the hierarchies, so while moving an item across a room with magic is tricky at first, actual teleportation (like aparating from the HP universe) is very difficult and requires one to have a license to do it (you have to pass a hard test).
As far as prodigies go, Marius, for example, can be considered a prodigy. He was able to levitate small objects before he turned 8, got his teleportation license younger than most, and could travel to other worlds (like AUs) when he was 20. However, he is TERRIBLE at combative magic, and his strengths mostly lie in travelling and a bit of defense.
Yeah, I’m working on faces for some of my characters (and a fullbody that’s on its way), and I though I should work on Belinda (aka Bell).
She’s actually a lot younger than she looks at first glance. She’s 18 and a mage, but due to a rare genetic disorder can only receive nutrients through eating nomagi (non magical person) souls. Because of this, she’s very thin and frail, and while her problem is mostly malnourishment and not actually anorexia nervosa (though she does feel guilty about the soul eating thing, which is partially why she doesn’t eat much), her body appears a bit more anorexic than malnourished partially due to being able to eat every other day or so, just small portions.
Personality-wise, she’s not very good in social situations. She doesn’t know many people other than her sister, Adalaide, her tutor/butler, Giles, and incredibly small staff at her mansion (it’s small compared to some coughMacArthurscough) due to not getting out of her room much. Her body’s weak, but she’s very smart and artistic. She has a lot of time to read and draw, and has a nice window in her room so that she can draw what she sees. She was raised by Ada and Giles, as her parents died shortly after she was born (her mother in labor, her father was murdered), and is in hiding, as she is technically illegal (anyone who eats souls, whether they have the disorder or not, must be put to death by law). Still, she’s an okay person to be around. A bit selfish and a know-it-all, but she’s also curious to learn about people and the goings on in the world. She also loves her sister to death, and Giles is like a father to her.
So I got bored and found out the Disney Heroine doll maker has been updated to include an Asian and Native American section, which helped greatly.
He requested it to be for 2 of my characters: Alex and Sarah.
In his room, a boy of almost 10 years of age sat on his bed and tore into the package before him. It was from his mother, and even though he hadn’t seen her in… how long had it been now? Two years? Three? Four? Who cares?! After all, maybe there would be a letter in the box especially for him saying that she would finally come home tomorrow? I mean, he knew it probably was not, but still, it could be!
But no. It’s a scarf. Oh, there’s a letter in there too, as always, saying the usual necessities: that she loved him, missed him, told him to behave for grandma and grandpa, and she always told him about the people she helped as well as a few of the troubles she faced (though the latter-most always seemed downplayed to him). He knew why she included the last two parts. She had to let him know that she wasn’t gone for nothing. That she was making a real difference in the world, and that she wasn’t living it up in places like Odessa, but really making peoples’ lives better.
That still didn’t stop him from worrying. He didn’t tell his grandparents, never would, but whenever he got those few and far between presents and letter from his mom, he’d hold his meager treasures to his heart and cry. He wasn’t sure what it was from.
Some combination of the three?
Yeah. That last one. It was that last one.
He missed her so much. Her and his dad. He wanted his dad back, what kid wouldn’t? But not if it meant he lost his mom- or even worse, if he lost them both.
That was the fear. The fear of something happening to her, maybe even her dying! She was fighting demons after all- demons that killed people and ate people and ate his dad and burned his house down! And she was fighting those!
Then the anger came. Why wouldn’t she just come home?! She didn’t know those people! She didn’t owe them anything! Why would she risk her life for them?! WHY WASN’T SHE HERE!?
He missed her.
He missed her so, so much.
If all the crap that ever happened to Sarah/Sharaten never occurred, would she be as strong (both physically and mentally) as she is now?
Physically, probably not, since she never needed to be. She’s always been very fit and athletic, though now far moreso than she was 3 years ago.
Mentally is a different story though, since I’d consider her weaker now than she was before. She has night terrors, is obsessive to the point of endangering her life to find Connor’s soul, and has PTSD. While she does a good job of
hiding managing all that, she was far healthier before watching her husband be murdered and seeing her house burn down, not knowing if her kid was inside.